Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- It changes the function of cells, genes and hormones. Insulin levels drop significantly which facilitates fat burning. Intermittent fasting may increase HGH levels 5-fold. It is also known to cause beneficial changes in gene expression.
- Intermittent fasting can help you lose weight and belly fat .
- In can reduce insulin resistance lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body.
- It may be beneficial for Heart Health
- Induces various cellular repair processes
- May help prevent cancer
- Intermittent fasting is good for your brain. It increases levels of a brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Also studies in rats have shown that intermittent fasting may increase the growth of new nerve cells.
- Intermittent fasting may help prevent Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Intermittent fasting may extend your lifespan, helping you live longer. In studies of rats that fasted every other day lived 83% longer than rats that did not fast.
- Can Improve conditions such as Asthma, Arthritis, and Multiple Sclerosis.
Our experience with Intermittent Fasting
Several of us in the office have done intermittent fasting. We’ve mostly all done the most common one which is 8 hours of non-fasting (where your able to eat) and 16 hours of fasting. We’ve all done it pretty much at-least for a month and some for even longer, as long as 6 months or more. The general consensus is that you burn -fat very fast while doing the intermittent fasting plan. I mean without doing cardio you still burn a good amount fat you could tell very quickly, especially if your not eating junk food during your non-fasted hours. Although even eating junk-food we’ve all noticed a drop in weight.
The ideal way to approach fasting would obviously be though to eat clean while doing intermittent fasting. We also all felt more energy and definitely less bloating, as oppose to eating a regular diet where you see or feel a little bloating as your body is processing food most of the time.
We all know that in the morning right after you wake up is when you see your stomach the flattest usually, well with intermittent fasting the flatness of your stomach is like times two. Its like extremely flat, its incredible. Don’t know if its mental but you could see that your body is not inflamatted and that your actually giving it a break, its incredible. And the levels of energy are incredible. This is a great diet/meal plan to follow, for us, it is the easiest diet/plan to follow to lose weight since it doesn’t really restrict what you eat It just restricts when to eat which after a few days of doing it at the 7th , 8th hour your not even hungry anymore. Your body gets completely used to it, and for sometime there you forget food exists.
The only drawback we noticed with this diet/ plan is that not only do you burn fat but you also burn muscle. Since your not giving your body protein all the time to maintain muscle you lose some muscle. You could just tell after a few months of intermittent fasting your muscle mass starts going down, instead of just looking skinnier in the midsection you look skinnier all around. It is definitely not meant for people who want to maintain muscle mass or like to look like they have some muscle packed on or bodybuilders etc..
Although a-lot of people say no intermittent-fasting increases your Growth Hormone levels, so the growth hormone levels protect your muscles that is not true. I mean it may protect a bit, but not the same as compared to a regular diet. Take it first hand from us you could definitely tell the loss of muscle from intermittent fasting within the first month or couple of months.
Can you get that muscle back? yea definitely, just by getting back on a regular eating routine you can within a few months but you definitely lose muscle mass. I guess the only people that wouldn’t lose muscle mass while intermittent fasting are people who are taking steroids while intermittent fasting, as steroids will maintain your muscle mass pretty much no matter what you do.
So, in conclusion intermittent fasting is great and a diet we personally love doing as you feel amazing energy levels. You burn fat super fast and it kind of gives your body a break. A few of us have been thinking of doing a 72 hour fast which, many people and studies say that it is amazing for your body and kind of gives your body that reset it needs from always working, digesting food. The 72 hour fast they say is awesome and completely repairs your body. Well were going to do it eventually down the road, I’m sure it will be treacherous but just by doing intermittent fasting and seeing those benefits we can’t imagine the benefits we will feel after doing a 72 hour fast. Stay tuned.